C.'s Reviews > Return To Cranberry Farm

Return To Cranberry Farm by Lynn Manuel

Sep 21, 2014

bookshelves: riedel-titles-2014

Lynn Manuel is a recent discovery. I love her wonderfully inventive plot in “Mystery At Cranberry Farm”; hidden family heirloom masterpieces! It was exquisitely-woven with the joyous topic of flowers. Aunt Daisy Cranberry invites the children of her niece to help her convalesce and so we meet Tritch, Teddy and Tori in 1981. Out of print as it is, I consider that book a real Canadian gem. Can you imagine my astonishment, to stumble upon at a thrift store soon after... “Return To Cranberry Farm”!? Even more invisible than its predecessor, volume two fails to appear on major book websites. It was my tremendous pleasure to scan its cover and add it to a database or two.

Released in 1990, I hoped 9 year-old Tori had aged. She was a futile contributor and most of the sleuthing excursions should have been left to the elder pair. I didn’t imagine this adventure could match the calibre of the first either; old family secrets. Could two have languished 100 years at the same house? Lynn kept her timeframe so we are no more than one year ahead. She kept her gift for spinning a memorable, original tale too. I was a bit less enthusiastic about a planted riddle overshadowing a genuine family mystery. That treasure would form a trilogy, which there is no sign of Lynn writing yet. I would eagerly follow her clues to a second, ancient concoction of Daisy’s ingenious Grandma!

In the meantime, this one became exciting enough to gain four stars. Daisy is in financial difficulty and there is a persistent moral about accepting aid from friends. The children find another miniature book inside Grandma’s dollhouse, which looks like another set of her clues woven into her very own fable. This time, they trust no one at all.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Return To Cranberry Farm.

September 21, 2014 – Shelved
September 21, 2014 – Shelved as: riedel-titles-2014
September 21, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
September 30, 2014 – Started Reading
September 30, 2014 –
page 60
October 1, 2014 –
page 72
61.02% "Too much about little kids bickering and I have never found Tory (Victoria) cute. She annoys me so much and is such a pointless surplus to these stories, that I hoped she would be much older in this sequel. It was newly-discovered to me in a thrift shop and published 9 years after."
October 1, 2014 – Finished Reading