Miriam's Reviews > Not Flesh Nor Feathers

Not Flesh Nor Feathers by Cherie Priest

Jun 07, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy

This third installment moves away from the I-hear-dead-people theme into a grislier but less convincing aquatic zombies direction (you don't know what direction aquatic zombies are? Just head toward the water). Eden's ghost-whispering abilities don't come into the story too much, and there isn't the nod to traditional superstition to make suspension of disbelief easier for the reader. I can accept the possibility of ghosts and magic that I am unable to see; however, if everyone who was wrongfully killed and their bodies never recovered came back with a VENGEFUL ZOMBIE HORDE BENT ON DESTRUCTION I'm pretty sure people would be aware of this danger by now. Heck, we would have had to stop murdering each other out of self interest in order to avoid the aforementioned zombie vengeance. Why does this particular case merit special zombie privileges? Also, the contrivance of the main character being there for the action hinged on her being ridiculously stupid, which kind of ruined the second half of the book for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Not Flesh Nor Feathers.

June 7, 2010 – Started Reading
June 7, 2010 – Shelved
June 8, 2010 –
page 163
44.66% "Why has our heroine suddenly become TSTL?"
June 9, 2010 –
page 259
70.96% "you look like a guy who forages under bridges, fighting trolls for a living"
June 9, 2010 – Finished Reading

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Wait....did you say zombies?

Miriam Yeah, but they're anticlimactic zombies. And they don't eat brains or anything. If you want zombies read her Boneshaker instead. This one is really about flooding.