Laci's Reviews > The Moment of Everything

The Moment of Everything by Shelly King

it was ok

First off, I almost put the book down after the first page that says books don't change people the way they think, no more so than spinning around in the teacups at Disney world....wtf? Um, no, books CAN change people...greatly in some cases. I had the uncomfortable feeling that the author just wanted something challenging to say to "rock the boat" of accepted perceptions about books and reading.

I also felt the constant barrage of lingo was jarring and, honestly, will date and make the book laughable in 3-5 years. We all use or have heard of the technologies mentioned but I don't want to read near constant company name-dropping on every page. I started cynically wondering if the author was taking kickbacks from the amount of online and brick-and-mortar stores mentioned, holy smack.

I also agree with another reviewer that the book's entire premise of finding this beautiful exchange between two people in a shared used book was dropped like a hot potato early on--leaving....nothing for the rest of the book to capture my attention. When a book is described as a "book about books", you KINDA have to deliver on that. Just because a book is set in a bookstore and the protagonist went to a book club once, that doesn't mean it's about books or that book lovers will love it.

I'm so sad this one wasn't as described :(

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Moment of Everything.

September 20, 2014 – Shelved