Jessica McCann's Reviews > Committed: A Memoir of the Artist's Road

Committed by Patrick Ross

Patrick Ross' memoir contains all the things I enjoy most about this genre. I veer from celebrity memoirs, which too often contain high drama, glitz and narcissism. I prefer memoirs by ordinary people, dealing with life, overcoming obstacles and learning something along the way that they have the courage to share with the rest of us. Ross delivered this in a quiet way with clean, entertaining prose.

After an engaging introduction, the book begins with the author embarking on a business road trip for his Washington, D.C. lobbyist employer. His task is to interview a range of artists about copyright infringement. Spending five weeks driving solo across the country provides a great deal of opportunity for Ross to examine his life -- where he has been, where he is now and where he would like to be. The interviews and conversations with the artists begin to lean more toward creative passion, life and balance than toward the legalities of copyright. His road trip soon evolves into a journey of inspiration, reflection and self-discovery.

Ross' story reminds the reader that none of us are perfect. We all have baggage that weighs us down as we go through life. Whether that includes a dysfunctional family, divorce, health challenges, fear of failure or any number of other trials, the key is to keep moving and striving to overcome. I found myself smiling and nodding along as I read this book, especially connecting to the author's insights regarding family, parenthood and the desire to live a creative life.

Too many of us get stuck in a place we'd rather not be, sometimes out of fear, sometimes out of complacency. Ross' memoir is a story about having the courage to get unstuck. If you enjoy books in the vein of Julia Cameron's The Artist's Way, you will enjoy Ross' memoir. I highly recommend it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Committed.

September 20, 2014 – Shelved
September 20, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
October 6, 2014 – Started Reading
November 10, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

Lynne Spreen Sounds intriguing. I love thinking novels about personal growth. Putting it on my WTR list.

Jessica McCann Lynne wrote: "Sounds intriguing." It's a great memoir, Lynne. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

message 3: by Patsy (new)

Patsy Parker This sounds like a good book. I just found his blog and plan to start reading it to get a feel of what he is like as a writer before I buy the book. Thanks for the review!

Jessica McCann Patsy wrote: "This sounds like a good book. I just found his blog and plan to start reading it to get a feel of what he is like as a writer before I buy the book. Thanks for the review!" Good idea, Patsy. I think you'll enjoy his blog, too. :)

message 5: by Patsy (new)

Patsy Parker Jessica wrote: "Patsy wrote: "This sounds like a good book. I just found his blog and plan to start reading it to get a feel of what he is like as a writer before I buy the book. Thanks for the review!" Good ide..."

Thanks, Jessica. I just need to find a chunk of time to read his blog! :-)