Matthew's Reviews > In Our Time

In Our Time by Ernest Hemingway

Italo Calvino once called Hemingway's writing "violent tourism" and I laughed and dismissed Hemingway along with him.

But it's funny how the right circumstances and the right set of an author's work will change your ideas on them completely.

So if you read this book while it is pouring rain and everyone is asleep and you are polishing off a case of Budweiser it will give you a strange feeling of excitement like you want to get up and run around outside, but you remember it is raining.

You are having a dream about Nick Adams, almost like you are him, because the memories seem like they could be yours almost, they are so blunt, but then they are interrupted by some italicized nightmare portions, politics and war in the larger world, rumblings of death, and visions of other strugglers, and Oh no! there is Nick in one of the italicized nightmares! And Indians who find small ways of defiance, and a flash of a wife's disappointment, and memories of putting a grasshopper on a hook, the three-segmented mouth, not knowing what to do next, catching vd in taxis, and getting trampled by horses.

And i've gone back and read most of the stories, and even when you're not drunk, reading them all together is like a dream experience, I feel. But it's exciting and even fun.

So now it's all Hemingway until I'm sick of him. It just takes a certain something to get into a (Certain Author)Phase. Even if he does write a lot about sitting in cafes. The good thing is that they carry most of his books in the paperback section of the used book store and you can get his complete works for not much dough.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In Our Time.

Finished Reading
June 7, 2010 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Matt, I always enjoy your posts. If you haven't gotten lost in A MOVEABLE FEAST yet, put it high on your list. Oh, and a case of wine will be the more appropriate libation for this one. Don't forget me when postcard time comes around. I keep all of your kind remembrances.

Matthew Thank you, I do still have your address written on my slip of addresses. And I did in fact just read 'A Moveable Feast', and the wine and food talk does stand out. It made me crave oysters, which is a fine writing job, because they are repulsive to me. But one could learn a lot about the good life of wine and simple food from these pages. Some of the gossip made me nervous, but I couldn't stop reading it. It's a ruddy, lively, tastey remembrance.