Rubina's Reviews > The Emperor's Riddles

The Emperor's Riddles by Satyarth Nayak

Sep 19, 2014

bookshelves: reviewed, tornado

The story is divided into three parts.

Buddham saranam gacchami
I go to the Buddha for refuge

Dhammam saranam gacchami
I go to the Dhamma for refuge

Sangham saranam gacchami
I go to the Sangha for refuge.

The echoes of these beautiful words are enough to entice a reader. This story shuttles between the past and the present - without killing the essence and the beauty of each era. Frankly speaking, this is no light read. It took me some time to get into the flow of the story. But after you catch the thread of the story, it is so gripping and 'unputdownable'.

The story begins with the death of Ram Mathur. The death itself is very strange and gruesome. His eyes are gouged out and yet he seems not to suffer in pain but had died with a smile on his face. Why? He had carved the name Ohm on his face with a trident. Ohm not as the most holy word in the Hindu scriptures, but the name of the protagonist Ohm Patnaik.

Ohm Patnaik is summoned by the police of Varanasi and Ram Mathur's daughter Sia to come and help out in solving the mystery. How he is connected to the death is a great bafflement for him. This starts a series of riddles which was triggered by an email left by Ram Mathur after his death. Along with Sia, Ohm starts his quest in solving 9 riddles which would not only solve ancient secrets for them but also solve the murder of Ram Mathur.

Constant danger lurks in the form of Scorpion - the serial killer who was targeting men related in terms of their destiny. Why and how is the most interesting part of this story and without screaming spoiler alert, I cannot give in the details. But all I can say is that the riddles would be the most interesting thing in this book. You would want to solve them to find out what this is all about. :)
Read the full review at

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Emperor's Riddles.

Finished Reading