José's Reviews > The Analyst

The Analyst by John Katzenbach

bookshelves: mystery-thriller

Reseña en español de El psicoanalista en el blog: Click aquí

This was the first Katzenbach book I read and it was really good. I never heard of this author prior reading this novel but it was a birthday present and the premise looked really interesting: a psychopath who calls himself Rumpelstiltskin, threats doctor Frederick Starks saying that he has to figure out his identity in 15 days or he will kill somebody from the doctor's family. The only way to stop Rumpelstiltskin from killing is to win the game or that the doctor commits suicide.

It was a great read. The book is fast paced with lots of mysteries and nice plot twists that kept me reading non stop, towards the half it slows down a little bit but luckily Katzenbach quickly picks up the frantic rhythm of the first chapters reaching a very good ending.
Even though I sort of figured out who Rumpelstiltskin was before finishing, it didn't stopped me from enjoying this book because what really interested me was to know if the doctor could survive this wicked game.
Another thing I really liked is how the author describes the psyche of the different characters and the deeper implications of the game planned by Rumpelstiltskin, also the villain was great because of his determination to destroy doctor Starks's life.

With this kind of books I always have the concern that the ending can be stupid or far fetched, fortunately this wasn't the case. Without being a mind-blowing ending (at least for me) I found it to be satisfactory and it wrapped up the book perfectly.

So, if you're looking for a fast and exciting psychological thriller this book can be good for you. I breezed through the second half desperate to know how the story would end and it didn't disappoint me. I'll definitely read more books by this author in the future.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Analyst.

September 18, 2014 – Shelved
June 29, 2015 –
page 145
August 24, 2015 –
page 207
42.16% "Lo tenía abandonado pero ya me enganché de nuevo."
August 28, 2015 –
page 267
August 30, 2015 –
page 355
August 30, 2015 –
page 355
August 31, 2015 –
page 402
81.87% "Tercera parte: Hasta los malos poetas aman la muerte Estos últimos capítulos fueron geniales! a ver como termina."
September 1, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

Denisse Woohoo, que bueno que te gusto :)

José Si, me gustó mucho! Aunque sobre la mitad del libro ya tenía una idea de quien era Rumplestilskin (o como se escriba xD) me mantuvo enganchado.
Seguramente lea algún otro libro de Katzenbach en algún momento :)

Denisse Cuando lo leí, hace mas años de los que quiero admitir, (deeee, jajaja) no se me ocurrió siquiera como opción que ESE personaje fuera a ser el Rumple, me quede con carota de "whaaaaaaaaat?"

José jajaja yo empecé a hacerme la idea que podía ser ese pero no sabía cómo explicarlo, lo que me encantó del libro es que me hizo sospechar de todo el mundo ¬¬

Denisse Asi es, es bastante interesante leer algo así :) El Hombre equivocado también es muy bueno y Jucio Final ;)

José Genial! muchas gracias por las recomendaciones, ya los agrego :)

Denisse De nada :)