julieta's Reviews > You Shall Know Our Velocity!

You Shall Know Our Velocity! by Dave Eggers

Jun 06, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: young-americans

Before I get into the story of this book, and what I thought about it, I have to start with this. I LOVE the paper it's made of!! Really! It makes me want to write, in a typewriter, and live in some far off place, the color, the texture, wow, I tried to find out what they used but there is no information on the subject. I think I probably finished the book because of that wonderful paper it is made of. With paper like this, how can I even consider going on to electronic books?

Now, for the story. It got on my nerves! So much urgency! so many unplanned flights, oh, and the money, it's such an important element in the story, and that gets a little old. Give away money, travel to as many places as possible and just give it away. To people who "need it" argh! Money money, changing checks, exchanging currency. It seemed to me so, mister dollar visits poor countries and gives them a little of what they need, is that really, mister Eggers, all that people really need? And is that, in your opinion all that your story needs?

But I love that paper!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read You Shall Know Our Velocity!.

Stephen Gallup The paper (of my edition) is similar to that used in a few other books that I admired for the same reason (in part), such as The Art of Racing in the Rain and Lost in Place. I actually went to a paper company to find out what was used (because I wanted my book to have the same feel). Apparently the cover is 10pt Index with just a UV coat and the pages are 45# offset. FWIW. Not as durable as some alternatives, but durability isn't everything.

Bryanbannon The paper was the only thing I liked about it.

message 3: by Judith (new)

Judith Black I honestly never read a review about the paper used in a book! I'll have to re-consider my standards