Dark Faerie Tales's Reviews > Made for You

Made for You by Melissa Marr

bookshelves: reviewed-by-bridget

Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: Dark, creepy story that will keep you up all night! If you are a young adult thriller fan you are in for a real treat with Made for You!

Opening Sentence: “DID YOU SEE HER?”

The Review:

Eva Tilling is the epitome of a southern belle. She grew up in the small town of Jessup, North Carolina where her parents are practically a King and Queen. Everyone loved Eva and no one could ever believe that anyone would ever want to hurt her. But when she is hit by a car and left for dead everyone starts to wonder if someone would very much like to hurt her. While Eva was hurt pretty badly and her once beautiful face will be left scared, that’s not the only thing she got from the accident. She now has this strange new ability to foresee the deaths of anyone who touches her.

While in the hospital trying to recover she rekindles her friendship with her childhood friend Nate. They haven’t talked for years but Eva has never quite gotten over her crush she has had on him for years. Things seem to be looking up until another accident occurs, killing one of Eva’s fellow students. Could both be accidents or is there a killer on the loose? Soon the body count goes up and the killer is sending messages to Eva. Will she be able to figure out who in her tiny town tried to kill her before someone she loves becomes his next victim?

For the most part I really liked Eva as a character. She was a sweet girl that has had to deal with some pretty traumatic things lately and surprisingly she handles everything really well. She grew up with parents that were never around much so she has always had to rely on herself and a few close friends. Her family had a lot of money and she was pretty much regarded as royalty in the small town she grew up in. Because of that she was expected to act a certain way and hang out with certain people. The one thing I didn’t love about Eva was how passive she was in her own life. She lets everyone else dictate her life and that was hard for me to relate too. As the story goes on she does get way better but I would have liked to have seen a little more from her. Overall, I liked her and thought she was a fun character.

Nate was a cute boy that was swoon worthy, but I felt that his relationship with Eva seemed a little forced and very rushed. I realize they have known each other since they were little kids but they haven’t talked to each other for years. To me I thought that things should have progressed a little slower between them, but instead it was like the last two years of their life never even happened. They go from not talking to a couple in a matter of days which I thought was really unrealistic. Also, I never understood why Nate acted the way he did and it was never really explained which frustrated me. While I didn’t love how fast it moved, I did think that they were an adorable couple and as a love interest I thought Nate was perfectly done.

I have to dedicate a paragraph to the villain in the story. He is known as The Judge and he was seriously so creepy! I thought that the parts of the book that were told from his POV were brilliant. It made the story feel way more real and I’m not going to lie, it really freaked me out when I would read what he was thinking. I can only imagine what it would be like to be in a real serial killers head, but I bet Marr hit it pretty close with Judge.

Made for You was a fast paced thriller that kept me on the edge of my seat! From the first moment I picked this book up I had a hard time putting it down. I will admit I wasn’t too surprised on who the killer ended up being, but I didn’t figure it out right away which is a plus. I really enjoyed the entire cast of characters. Marr did a wonderful job fleshing them all out and making me care about each one of them. Marr’s writing is phenomenal and easy to get lost in. Surprisingly this is actually the first book I have read by Marr, but after reading it I am certainly more eager to pick up her other works. Overall, I thought that this was a great young adult mystery and I would highly recommend it to anyone that is looking for a great thriller that will keep you up at night!

Notable Scene:

I drive past her house as I have for months, not so often that anyone would notice, but frequently enough to keep myself calm. Seeing a glimpse of her has always filled me with a sort of peace that is too hard to find. These past days while she was in the hospital, I had to pretend that she was inside, that there was a chance she could come to the window. Sometimes though, I had to drive to the hospital in Durham. Being so far away from her for this many days has been more difficult than I could’ve imagined. I’m glad she didn’t die. I’m not sure how I’ll cope if she still has to die. The fear of her loss cripples me briefly, and I know that I have to do a good job. She has to understand the messages, and she has to obey them. Anything less will mean I have to finish killing her. I don’t want that. I’ve never wanted that. She’s made for me, my perfect match.

“And I was made for you,” I tell her as I glance at the window of her room.

FTC Advisory: HarperTeen provided me with a copy of Made for You. No goody bags, sponsorships, “material connections,” or bribes were exchanged for my review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Made for You.

Finished Reading