Hannah's Reviews > Through The Veil

Through The Veil by Christi Snow

My first Christi Snow book, and also her first foray into the paranormal genre. I really liked it; it was a really good twist on the post apocalyptic type genre. Snow has a really easy writing style, I mean it's very smooth and flows well and I enjoyed the third person POV switching focus between Marcus and Lori.

Goodreads Blurb wraps up the summary the best so here is part of that...

58 years ago a gorge opened up from Mobile, AL to Quebec City, Canada to split the United States into the Western States (WS) and the Eastern States (ES). 40 years later, a fog rolled in on the WS that they called the Veil. Within twelve hours it formed an impenetrable wall between the two sides. It's been 18 years since anyone has known what's happening on the other side of the Veil.

I am ashamed to admit that I did have to pull out my atlas and look up what constituted as ES and WS because at one point I got really confused the part of North Carolina and Tennessee being in WS. My knowledge of Canadian geography isn't as good as I thought.

Lori was leading a good life living in the ES. She was a prominent business woman with a secret; she was hiding what made her special what the new government said was dangerous. When she confided in her fiancé he chose to use her as step up in his career and turned her in. Marcus along with his brothers have changed when the veil went up and covered the WS. Now with wings things have progressed differently they live peacefully under the leadership of a wonderful woman. Marcus was in love but meetings with the regional leaders took him away for a day and she was killed by the wild predators that inhabit the woods. The last eight years we hard on both Lori and Marcus. Lori was living in a cage with other people who share her extra abilities and treated her and the others as a test subjects. Marcus has lived alone, miserable and focused on work until one day he was on patrol at the edge of the veil when a woman stumbled in from the veil. Lori unique ability allowed her to escape through the veil after her daring escape from the lab she was kept in.

Lori and Marcus have instant chemistry. The connection between them is so strong it ties them together psychically. Right after her arrival into the veil strange things start to happen the cold front has arrived weeks earlier than normal and the predators who are normally nocturnal are showing up during the day and entire families have disappeared. By the end of the book these things are still a mystery. Lori has shared with Marcus and his people what she came from and they agreed that they would go and rescue those she had no choice but to leave behind. Together with Marcus best friend Griffin and fellow warrior Brooklyn create a blood bond to connect them psychically so they can talk telepathically during the mission.

A really good first book in the series, it definitely has me hooked.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Through The Veil.

September 18, 2014 – Shelved