Jennifer's Reviews > A Girl from Yamhill

A Girl from Yamhill by Beverly Cleary

Jun 05, 2010

bookshelves: non-fiction
Read in June, 2010

Sometimes I mark a book I love "as read" but then don't write a full review. I always vow later to come back and finish it. I rarely do, so I'm happy I have the chance to do right by this book:)

I've been rereading the famous Ramona books to my kids. My oldest son has global delays and has some difficulty following verbal information. Something about Beverly Cleary's writing captures him. He retains and understands far more of the Romona books than any other books we've ever tried.

Her autobiography illuminates the experiences that give her the ability to paint childhood in a way children recognize as authentic. Growing up she had a quiet sympathetic father and a distant slightly neurotic mother. Although she loved her mother she could never quite understand how to please her. This gave her a great deal of empathy for children struggling to understand the rules of an adult world.

This book is just the first half of a two volume set. It covers her early childhood to around the end of High School. I love not just her quick wit but all the lovely historical details that come from someone writing about a time period that they lived through.

Even if you never touch any of her fiction this work is completely worth the time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Girl from Yamhill.

06/23/2016 marked as: read