Alex's Reviews > The Forest of Hands and Teeth

The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan

Jun 05, 2010

bookshelves: 2010, ya, zombies
Recommended for: fans of zombie movies and literature

I thought this book was a fresh and interesting take on the zombie concept. It felt more like The Giver than Zombieland. When I picked up this book at the store, I didn't even realize it was a zombie book. I just hadn't read a post-apocalyptic young adult book in quite a long time.

From the first few pages, I was drawn into the idea of a world possibly completely overrun by zombies, or the Unconsencrated as they are referred to in the book. But what also interested me was the power of The Sisterhood, a religious group that dictates the lives of all living within the safety of the fences that keep the population safe.

At the heart of the story is Mary. She is in love with the boy who is marrying her best friend and wants to see the ocean her mother promised her existed beyond the forest. Much light the Twilight books, the story is written in first person and much of it deals with her inner turmoil about her life and her boy troubles. But it goes deeper than Twilight.

Like all good zombie entertainment, this is a contemplation of life and death, and of living in cages or dying outside them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Forest of Hands and Teeth.

June 5, 2010 – Started Reading