Becky's Reviews > Confessions of a Shopaholic

Confessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella

did not like it
bookshelves: abandoned, 2011, disappointing, reviewed, romance-y

I picked this book up on a whim at the thrift store. I had heard it was fun and hilarious and that I'd love it.

It wasn't, and I didn't.

In fact, I only made it 25% into the book before I decided that reading more just wasn't for me. For starters, the main character gives me a bad name. What a vapid, delusional, hypocritical mess. She's bad at her job, she's completely self-centered and selfish and annoying, completely focused on outward appearances and and seems to think that the universe owes her a sweater. When she got to the part about paying 80 GBP (which is approximately 130 USD) for a decorative bowl that she initially thought was hideous and overpriced simply because it was featured in a magazine, and then started lying to herself about how SHE had spotted its worth all on her own and internally preening, I had to put the book down.

Honestly, is this kind of stuff supposed to be funny? I have a great sense of humor, and usually find many things funny that I probably shouldn't, but this wasn't funny to me. I find idiotic people like Rebecca Bloomwood's type to be frustrating and annoying, not funny. Plus, did I mention that she gives me a bad name?

When I discovered that there was no Aha! moment for her, and no growth or anything in her character, and that somewhere down the line she marries The Guy, I decided to stop reading for good. The Guy seems intelligent and rational, so why he would hitch himself to a financial disaster in Prada heels is beyond me.

In other words... I'm just not buying it.

(See what I did there? Take a lesson, Bloomwood.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Confessions of a Shopaholic.

June 5, 2010 – Shelved
April 13, 2011 – Shelved as: disappointing
April 13, 2011 – Shelved as: reviewed
April 13, 2011 – Shelved as: romance-y
April 13, 2011 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)

message 1: by Laura (new)

Laura Shocking! Really??

Jackie :O !!!!

Becky Laura wrote: "Shocking! Really??"

LOL I just now saw this. Even MORE shocking is that I OWN it. :D

message 4: by Cassie (new)

Cassie How is this so far? I've downloaded it, but the first page made me panic and reassess my own finances...

Becky Ehh... So far, it's just OK. I don't really like the main character. And it's told from her POV. And in present tense. And it's not funny - unless being irresponsible, deluded and hypocritical is funny.
I'll give it to 150 pages to get better, but after that, I'm giving it up.

message 6: by Maciek (new)

Maciek This books sounds like a feel-good backpatter for all the ladies whose only goal in life is to have countless pairs of Prada heels. Seriously.

Becky Maciek wrote: "This books sounds like a feel-good backpatter for all the ladies whose only goal in life is to have countless pairs of Prada heels. Seriously."

Seems that way. And I mean, for Pete's sake, she's a financial journalist - you'd think that she'd have half a clue. But no.

message 8: by Maciek (new)

Maciek LOL. Wasn't it made into a movie? It must have been.

Becky Maciek wrote: "LOL. Wasn't it made into a movie? It must have been."

Yessir, it was. The movie is probably funny. I wouldn't know. I never had any desire to see it - before or after trying to read the book.

message 10: by Maciek (new)

Maciek Ha! I knew. I never saw it, too. Similar case was with The Devil Wears Prada. I don't dig this stuff. The only funny book and movie combo which worked was Bridget Jones.

message 11: by Becky (new) - rated it 1 star

Becky Maciek wrote: "Ha! I knew. I never saw it, too. Similar case was with The Devil Wears Prada. I don't dig this stuff. The only funny book and movie combo which worked was Bridget Jones."

I never saw The Devil Wears Prada either. But that's simply because I don't like Anne Hathaway. I get confused looking at her face. Her eyebrows are so severe, but her eyes seem so vacant, that... I just prefer movies she's not in. LOL

I saw Bridget Jones before I ever knew it was a book... and I've never read the book. So I'm 0 for 3. LOL

message 12: by Maciek (new)

Maciek LOL!

Actually, Bridget Jones Diary was fun when I read it some years ago. It was probably the first "big" chick lit book. I don't remember much from it now, except that I laughed when Bridget wanted to learn to program the VCR. I can't master this either.

message 13: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Well, thanks, Becky for taking one for the team....now if any of us were curious about this book.....you've saved us the trouble. You're a trooper! lol

message 14: by Becky (new) - rated it 1 star

Becky Kathy wrote: "Well, thanks, Becky for taking one for the team....now if any of us were curious about this book.....you've saved us the trouble. You're a trooper! lol"

You're welcome. It was painful, but well... No, there's no but - it was just painful.

message 15: by Becky (new) - rated it 1 star

Becky Maciek wrote: "LOL!

I don't have a VCR, but we do have a DVD player and a DVR - both of which I set. Thomas throws things when he gets frustrated. O_o

message 16: by Maciek (new)

Maciek I don't throw things, because they bounce back and hit me in the head. True story.

message 17: by Becky (new) - rated it 1 star

Becky LOL I should have been more clear. He throws things and they smash.

message 18: by Becky (new) - rated it 1 star

Becky Also, can I just say that it makes me laugh when I see your serious-face in my update feed next to this bright pink book cover? *giggle*

message 19: by Maciek (new)

Maciek LOL!

message 20: by Zelda (new) - rated it 1 star

Zelda of Unapologetic Reviews I just wanted to say that I totally agree with you and I have the same problem with my name. I can't stand the Twilight series and my name is Isabelle. It's really annoying.
Oh, and BTW, I read The Devil Wears Prada, because I really loved the movie. The book was awful in that she constantly whines in it. Like about how much she has to work, she's not paid enough, she hates the skinny women, fashion, but she just doesn't quit. She actually gets fired! So don't read it, because it'll be as frustrating for you as it was to me. Oh, and the woman didn't even know how to apply make-up.