Kate's Reviews > Sarah's Quilt: A Novel of Sarah Agnes Prine and the Arizona Territories, 1906

Sarah's Quilt by Nancy E. Turner

Jun 05, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: fiction
Read in June, 2010

This just didn't come close to my expectations after reading "These Is My Words." It took me much longer to get into the story and I thought it was a little far-fetched. It reminded me a little of Forrest Gump because it tried to incorporate so much national history into the life of one person. That's fine and all, but it seemed incongruous with the first book in the series. Nancy Turner used the same journal format with this book, but it felt less true. The entries didn't read like daily entries; more like one solid memoir. Maybe I would have liked it better if she'd chosen a different format.

Also, Sarah shows the same kinds of blindness in understanding the men around her (her sons, Udell, Rudolfo) as she showed with Jimmy and Jack in These Is My Words. I would have liked to see some more evolution in her thinking - did she learn nothing from her years with Jack?!

All that aside, I did enjoy reading about Sarah's determination to hold onto her family and her land. I'm still trying to decide if I'll read "Star Garden," the final book in this series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sarah's Quilt.

message 1: by Christy (last edited Jun 06, 2010 08:20AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Christy Although it took me longer to get into Sarah's Quilt, I really loved this book. I think you have to read all three books however to get a complete picture of Sarah's life and what she accomplishes. As I read these books these characters all became real to me. I think I rated this four stars, only because These is my Words was a five star book.