Jailene Hernandez's Reviews > Courtship and Curses

Courtship and Curses by Marissa Doyle

Summary:
The story starts off with the main character Sophie and her family shopping for dresses for a ball. Sophie is a witch but only her mother (who was also a witch) knew. However, her mother died when she was younger but her father is involved in war work so she is mostly surrounded by her annoying aunts. Also, she is “crippled” and has to use a cane to walk because one of her legs got messed up, which also somehow caused her to lose her magic.
When Sophie is looking all pretty at the ball, the incredibly sweet Lord Woodbridge starts talking to her and it was love at first sight (for both of them). However, an accident happens at the ball in which her father almost died, but then Sophie feels magic in the air and she knows that the accident was not an accident. Luckily for Sophie, somewhere along the book she starts to get her magic back and all she knows is that she is gonna use this to her advantage.

Thoughts:
I love Lord Woodbridge he is so sweet and adorable that it makes me want to hug him. And Parthenope is awesome, she goes against the whole “being a proper lady” thing and just does whatever she wants. She’s funny, sarcastic, and open minded (kinda reminds me of myself).Many of the characters are interesting in their own way (including Sophie) but overall, I was so glad that Sophie found a best friend and a lover that both accept her for who she is.
Even though this is the third book in the “series” (I heard this one actually is not that connected to the others ones), this is the first one I read because my friend recommended I read this one first. The book was way better than I expected and I am going to read the other ones in the series right away (already have them on hold).
Would I recommend this? Well if you like YA books, light romance, some fantasy, and stories that take place in 19th century England then hell yeah I recommend.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Courtship and Curses.

September 16, 2014 – Started Reading