Kim's Reviews > Fractured Lines

Fractured Lines by Jen McLaughlin

bookshelves: arc, from-the-author, loved, most-favoritest-2014, adult, read-in-2014, reviewed, own-print-read, signed

Find this review and more at kimberlyfaye reads .

We all love when our characters get what we assume will be a happily ever after (HEA), but sometimes what happens after the HEA isn't all sunshine, rainbows and kittens. No matter how much a couple loves each other, previous issues have a way of resurfacing and causing trouble a second time around. This is what we find with Finn and Carrie in Fractured Lines.

I should probably be mad at Jen for putting one of my favorite bookish couples through another relationship test, but the truth is, I was so excited to get more of them – and the book was so beautifully-written – so I'm happy she extended their story. Carrie and Finn aren't in a good place at the beginning of Fractured Lines. They're married and have a young daughter. Finn had been in a car accident and was dealing with pain from it, and some of his old habits begin to surface, unbeknownst to Carrie. Ultimately, he won't admit he's addicted to painkillers and Carrie can't put herself and their daughter at risk, so she asks him to leave until he can get himself together.

Fractured Lines was difficult to read at times because of the emotions. I'm so invested in these characters that it hurt me when they were hurting. And both of them were hurting in this book. Carrie was trying to come to terms with the fact that the life she thought she had with Finn might be a lie and could be over. She was wrestling with herself because she wanted to help put him back together, but knew she couldn't. It was something he had to do on his own. Finn felt abandoned by Carrie, yet determined to prove to her that he could change. He could battle his demons and win – and he would for her and their family.

One of my favorite parts about this book is the way Carrie's dad has evolved. Where, in the past, he was one of their biggest obstacles, in Fractured Lines he's actually one of their biggest allies. I loved this transformation and his support of them and desire to get them back together. It definitely gave me the warm fuzzies. Of course, the situation with Daddy Dearest also brought an unexpected outside force into the situation to complicate it further. I won't get into all that because you have to experience the suspense (and emotions that go along with it) on your own. Be prepared. Have tissues. And maybe wine or another adult beverage of your choice.

I'm so glad Jen decided to write this novel about Finn and Carrie. It was real, raw and full of feels. As much as I hated that they were going through yet another struggle to save their relationship, I loved getting more of their story. Fractured Lines was a gorgeous (and often seriously sexy) look at what happens after the HEA we're all so anxious for our favorite characters to find.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fractured Lines.

September 16, 2014 – Shelved