Nene La Beet's Reviews > Stoner

Stoner by John  Williams

Sep 16, 2014

bookshelves: american, audiobook, fiction, usa

Characters like Stoner are not uncommon in literature - characters who never or rarely speak their mind. I guess they are not uncommon in the real world either, I just tend to avoid them because they make me feel insecure. However, one of the great things about this book is that it reveals Stoner as a character who would speak his mind if only people around him were ready to listen or if he thought they'd give a toss about what he had to say. I'm trying to learn from this ;-)

I really like the way this book unfolds slowly like a glacier and reveals Stoner's true self just as it reveals quite a lot about the inner workings of an institution of higher learning. Stuff you did not want to know!

Here on Goodreads I've read a very negative, but funny and sarcastic review of this book. I see where the reviewer is going, but I very much disagree. You can say that very little happens over a good deal of pages, but it wouldn't be true! A lot happens, it just happens in a very unassuming way.

I wish I could use the English language in as precise and elegant a way as John Williams.

The narration is a bit on the monotonous side, but I believe that to be a conscious choice on behalf of the narrator. Except from too short breaks between chapters, it is well done.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stoner.

Started Reading