Alex's Reviews > The Disappearing Spoon: And Other True Tales of Madness, Love, and the History of the World from the Periodic Table of the Elements

The Disappearing Spoon by Sam Kean
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Disappearing Spoon.

message 1: by Jayme (new)

Jayme Oh my god, damn you for letting me know about this book. Don't you know how much I love the periodic table?

Alex Hey, blame whoever it was who turned me onto it. There're like five of us with this on our reading list now.

Does look pretty awesome, huh?

message 3: by Jayme (new)

Jayme I've always thought that boron and magnesium could incite passion and jealousy, now I have proof! I'm going to have to buy this one for sure. I doubt my library would have it anyway.

Alex Lemme know when you get to it and if I can squeeze it in I'll read it with ya.

message 5: by Jayme (new)

Jayme Sounds good, don't hold your breath though, it'll be awhile and I don't want you to lose any brain cells, you need those for reviewing books!

Alex Mm - it was El who came up with this one first. And now Patrick's interested too. So there are loads of us who don't have time to read it.

We should have an Imaginary Book Club where we pretend to read books we all wish we had time to get to.

message 7: by Jayme (new)

Jayme Ha! That's genius, I volunteer to lead the first imaginary discussion!

Alex Awesome. This'll be the first book club ever where everyone who says they want to be in for a read actually participates in the discussion.

message 9: by Marieke (new) - added it

Marieke i'm late to the party. did you start this imaginary book club yet?

message 10: by Alex (new) - rated it 4 stars

Alex Uh...yes? We've read all of Proust so far.

message 11: by Jayme (new)

Jayme I found it a little pretentious for my taste, but still a worthwhile read.

message 12: by Alex (new) - rated it 4 stars

Alex Agreed. It dragged in places, but that madeleine scene was virtuoso.

message 13: by Jayme (new)

Jayme Why was I not informed of the Science and Inquiry group?!

message 14: by Alex (new) - rated it 4 stars

Alex Sorry Jayme! I'll do better next time.

message 15: by Jayme (new)

Jayme I've got my eye on you.

message 16: by Alex (new) - rated it 4 stars

Alex When I saw this:

"Pace William Blake, you could have scooped up a handful of soil and held the whole universe, the whole periodic table, in your palm."

I assumed Kean was making a hopelessly confused reference to The Waste Land, but it turns out he was referencing a children's book called A Visit to William Blake's Inn: Poems for Innocent and Experienced Travelers instead. Okay, I guess.

message 17: by Jayme (new)

Jayme How did you even figure that out?

message 18: by Alex (new) - rated it 4 stars

Alex I take notes as I read and then Google things when I get in to work. Obsessively.

message 19: by Jayme (new)

Jayme Man, that's way too much work for me. I just mentally think about looking stuff up later and then never actually do it.

message 20: by Alex (new) - rated it 4 stars

Alex That's what all normal people. Must be nice.

message 21: by Jayme (new)

Jayme Frees up a lot of time for Farmville.