Mira's Reviews > Defy

Defy by Sara B. Larson

bookshelves: young-adult

I loved this book! It wasn't a high fantasy book but it was about complicated relationships and when being a girl isn't an advantage (female power rules!). I'm seeing mixed reviews, the expectation of this book is it's for YA (8th Grade +) although as an adult I found it highly entertaining. Big mysteries of plot, not really but I was curious and kept turning pages and loved the main character.

It's about Alexa and her twin Marcel set in a Medieval time period (I tend to envision Merlin while reading) of kingdoms and power mongrels of land. Alexa and Marcel watch their parents death and quickly make a plan to save themselves and stay together by Alexa joining the army with Marcel as a boy. They rise to the top and become the Princes Guard. However, lies don't stay gone forever and the complications of being a girl arise along with duty changes in guarding the Prince.

I loved the adventure, I was taken by surprise how much I enjoyed it (more like devoured it). I have my teen reading it and she loved it too, we were so excited to learn a second book is coming soon! Naturally I've already pre-ordered.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Defy.

Quotes Mira Liked

Sara B. Larson
“Have you ever heard of the theory that it is better for one man to die than an entire nation to suffer? Do you believe that to be true? Is it ever okay to take a life in hopes of saving others?”
Sara B. Larson, Defy

Sara B. Larson
“Sometimes it seemed like those with the most rotten interiors were blessed with the most exquisite exteriors.”
Sara B. Larson, Defy

September 15, 2014 – Shelved
September 15, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
September 29, 2014 – Started Reading
September 29, 2014 –
58.0% "Loving this book! Disguised as a boy in the Prince's Guard...Alex aka Alexa. Great adventure so far."
September 30, 2014 – Finished Reading