Cary's Reviews > Stargazer

Stargazer by Claudia Gray

Jun 04, 2010

bookshelves: favorites

** spoiler alert ** After reading "Evernight" I rushed to get this book which is the second installment in the series. I was very pleased with the amount of suspense this book provided. In the beginning Bianca isn't half as hesitant about attending the academy as she was the previous year. She is beginning to come around about becoming a vampire more and more. The story tears away from all of that to reveal an even bigger secret that is mind blowing. The horror of the particular situation she finds herself in is a situation where she feels terribly betrayed, as if her whole life has been a lie.

The "wraiths" provide more mystery and intrigue to the story. There's quite a few scandals surrounding their horrible nature and when it unravels it's truly monumental.

I can honestly say by the end of the book I had gone back and forth between the two love interests as well. I was definitely torn and unsure toward the middle but I'm Team Lucas, for sure. I do love Balthazar though and his friendship with Bianca is incredibly special. The character building is sometimes difficult to hold onto. For example, Patrice and Courtney were built up and then swept away. Patrice was in the first book and didn't return for the second book. Although I would've loved to see her in this story and I hope she's at least mentioned in the books to come. Courtney was a major antagonist in "Evernight" but begins to come around a bit in this book. She is soon stripped from the story which I didn't like whatsoever. Regarding Courtney's removal, it built up the angst well and I can understand why that was important because it provided a major turnaround. I love that Raquel is presented more as well as Vic and a few other characters.

All in all, this is an extremely good book that constantly makes you want more. I really love the concept and storyline. The main characters are also difficult not to become attached to.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stargazer.