Diane S ☔'s Reviews > The Pocket Wife

The Pocket Wife by Susan H. Crawford

liked it

Dana, can't remember much of the last afternoon she spent with her friend. Much can be blamed on the drinking they both did, but to make it even more difficult, Dana is bi-polar, off her meds and slightly manic. Yet, her friend is dead and she remembers only bits and pieces. Could she possibly have killed her?

Can't say this was the most suspenseful read but it was different and I sympathized with Dana's struggles. Not only is her husband cheating on her, but as she tries to stay ahead of her mania to find out what actually happened to her friend, she finds herself in a defensive position with the police. Now that was my favorite character, Jack the detective assigned to this case. He has personal problems of his own but he is dogged and sympathetic, regretting past mistakes and trying to do the right thing.

The ending, not too sure of, don't think it could have played that way, someone in that particular line of work wouldn't be that naïve. Can't say more because I don't want to spoil it for future readers. A good read, less mystery than character study, but an interesting one.

ARC from publisher.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pocket Wife.

September 15, 2014 – Shelved
September 15, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
March 13, 2015 – Started Reading
March 14, 2015 –
page 40
March 16, 2015 –
page 130
March 18, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

Kelli I completely agree about the ending...not likely that choice would be made!

Diane S ☔ As it is fiction we can't expect perfect reality, but it does have to stay within the characters perceived personality and not make choices that do not fit.

Kelli Exactly!

message 4: by Frannie (new) - added it

Frannie Cheska Thanks for your review. I am slightly bored but also interested enough to continue. I kind of want to skip to the end, I can't much else happening

Diane S ☔ Welcome, Frannie. An okay read just not one of my favorites.