Silas's Reviews > Extinction

Extinction by B.V. Larson

M 50x66

liked it

This book is really a mixed bag. I quite liked the idea of a computer programmer being particularly good at interacting with artificial intelligences. At first, I found his designing of new things interesting, though that seemed to be the only way presented of solving problems. The depiction of applications for the technologies were quite interesting, as well, and rather well thought out. Some of the main character's reactions were well-depicted, particularly his horror at having caused others to die, and some of his thought processes about space travel. Other parts were not particularly well done. The main character's "love interest" (I put that in quotes, because she is really more of a lust interest) doesn't seem to have a lot going on except that she gets mad at him, and wants him constantly. It really doesn't make a lot of sense, and she just seems to be there because the author wants the main character to "score." I find their interactions particularly troublesome considering the main character was supposed to have had a wife and daughter before the first book. It just doesn't seem like the actions that a father of a daughter would take. It's also troublesome that the main character seems to be the only one who comes up with ideas, and bosses people around in a way that just seems undeserved. Despite the strangeness that he is the only competent character, the military action is fairly well depicted, if a bit unrealistic. I might have given the next book a miss, but I already happen to own it, so I guess I will continue on. My main solace is that it does not seem that the Sandra character will appear very much in the next book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Extinction.

September 15, 2014 – Started Reading