Marjolein's Reviews > Artful

Artful by Peter David

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy, arc, read-in-english

Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

My last encounter with the Artful Dodger was a complete disaster, see my review on The Artful. It felt only fair however to give him another chance, as it was my own fault I never read/watched Oliver Twist (and need to admit that I still haven't).

I'd almost written that Artful follows a more traditional setting, Victorian London, but then again, I thought of the vampires roaming this book, and couldn't make such a statement. It feels almost like it is part of the Pride and Prejudice and Zombies series. However, the addition of the vampires didn't destroy the story for me. In fact I found it quite entertaining.

I'm really annoyed that I lost my notes on this novel, as there seem to be some things I wanted to mention and I feel they are just out of reach (but have been so for the last three days, so I'm not confident I will remember them any time soon).

The story is absurd in all its dimensions. Not just the vampires. If you're looking for a realistic story set in Victorian England (with or without the vampires), this isn't the book you're looking for. However, if your looking for something entertaining that doesn't require a lot of thinking (I think it's even better not to analyse the story, probably), this is a very enjoyable read.

At this point I still don't really see what would make the Artful Dodger such an interesting character that people are still writing fanfiction about it after all this time. Artful didn't give me such a memorable main character. But I'll read Oliver Twist soon (when I find the time to do so), so I can better understand the hype around him.

Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for providing me with a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Artful.

September 14, 2014 – Shelved