Charlie's Reviews > A Promise Is A Promise

A Promise Is A Promise by Fay Risner

Jun 03, 2010

bookshelves: indie
Recommended to Charlie by: author for review

GEMS: Growing up in the Mid-West I loved the style and tone of the story and scenery. No purple pose or overly nostalgic descriptions, but rather a simple and honest portrayal of daily life. Each character is original and thoughtfully developed. I whole-heartedly enjoyed this Amish tale and believed the contrast between the Plain and English, but also how it is possible to live together with understanding, honesty and acceptance. The story is not overtly religious but rather focuses on the complexities of relationships and because of this drew me into the Lapp family.

FLAWS: This is not truly a flaw because I love how the author wrote the story, but if a reader is looking for more action or twists based on a typical ‘mystery’ experience, you may be slightly disappointed. The family secret isn’t so surprising, nor is it terribly shocking, but from the point of view of the Amish it is understandably shameful. I see this as a story about living up to a person’s word and good old-fashion romance and values.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Promise Is A Promise.

June 3, 2010 – Started Reading