Sally's Reviews > The Awakening

The Awakening by L.J. Smith

Jun 03, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: vampires, boy-meets-girl, ya, just-so-trashy
Read on February 20, 2011

Hahaha I just had to go and make a trashy shelf. :P This reminded me of those terrible Sweet Dreams teen romances I used to positively eat up when I was about 12! An absolute eye-roller and so dreadful, but in that compelling way where you don't want to put it down until you're through - which luckily does not take very long because it's so short and mindless.

I didn't like Elena, she was waaay too up herself. Not to mention she came across as such a stalker at the start! Meredith and Bonnie were enjoyable though. Stefan - as with 99% of those carbon-copy supernatural matinee idols, I completely fail to see the appeal. I totally laughed my way through this. Won't be hunting down the next book, but wouldn't say no at reading it if it fell into my lap.

"High cheekbones, classical straight nose... and a mouth to keep you awake at night."

LOL, and my mind just went straight into the gutter. ;)
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Awakening.

message 1: by Tara (new) - added it

Tara Calaby Absolutely not me. I thought it was rubbish :D

Sally Haha I can see from your review! xD But SOMEONE did and the person I thought it was does not have the book added o.O

message 3: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Although I love the Vampire Diaries, I don't think it was me 'cause I wouldn't have recommended you the books but the TV series, which is a lot better.. :S But now I'm not sure! (Although seriously. The TV series is a whole lot better. I only like the books as a guilty pleasure, not because they're sincerely good.)

Sally PERHAPS it was your raving about the TV series that made me decide to try the books? Because I thought it was you, only for some reason I was thinking you'd read the books as well as seen the show... xD

message 5: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Who knows ;) I have read the books though! But here in the Netherlands they were only sold per 2 books, you know, so I've read this edition instead. The books are kind of my guilty pleasure since they're not exactly good.. but you know.. I had such a crush on Damon that that didn't matter to me much.. but yeah, the TV show is loads better and more mature, IMO.

Sally Aha, so that explains why you didn't have it added! And guilty pleasure books can be awesome fun ;)

message 7: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Oh, they can be! It's just sad that the most interesting character doesn't really show up in this first book.. the first book is without a doubt the weakest of the series.

message 8: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Remind me, does Damon show up in this book yet? He's delightfully bad, which makes a nice change. (Btw, show!Elena is totally awesome. Strange but true.)

Sally He does! He's all creepy and murderous near the end ;)

message 10: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Damon is without a doubt the most interesting character of the series.. also the reason I kept reading. ;)