Jamie Collins's Reviews > A Great Deliverance

Jun 03, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: detective-inspector, mystery
Read from June 08 to 09, 2010

This was an enjoyable murder mystery, very well written with detailed, rather intense characterizations. The drama was perhaps a little over-the-top, and the Dark Secret behind the murder was a bit obvious.

The mystery shared the stage equally with the personal stories of the detectives, the aristocratic Inspector Lynley and the working-class Sergeant Havers. I like this in a series mystery novel, because in the long run I'm more interested in the recurring characters than in the murder-of-the-week.

I liked Lynley - he's given no unlikeable characteristics, actually. And at first the Lynley-Havers pairing was an interesting study in contrasts. But I waited in vain to see what Havers would contribute to the partnership. While her bitterness was sympathetic in the beginning, her vicious tirade about Lynley's personal life, none of which was even slightly her business, was very off-putting. And other than one breakthrough, which I think Lynley would have eventually figured out on his own, she contributed little to the solving of the case. I hope that the pairing is somewhat more balanced in future books.

There's a horrible caricature of an obnoxious American tourist. But there's also a duck named Angus Dougal McDuck.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Great Deliverance.

06/08/2010 page 74
17.92% "So far I like it. You certainly can't complain about shallow characterization."
04/25/2017 marked as: read