Kathleen's Reviews > Manhattan, When I Was Young

Manhattan, When I Was Young by Mary Cantwell

F 50x66
Jun 03, 2010

Read in June, 2010

Mary Cantwell continues to enchant me with her stately manner of writing. I am unable to stop thinking of her, her dignified presence in the magazine world of NYC, her rare life in the budding elegance of the West Village,her stylish friends and parties, her great cooking,and her sad internal life always questioning every decision she ever made. The tales of her navigating a comely marriage,childbirth,psychiatry, working outside of the home,are so honestly portrayed as to almost make the reader a voyeur. I am moved to research every person, author, recipe she mentions. Her times in Paris are the stuff of a novel between the fashion, the meals, and the companions there as well. Above all, though, is the writing...pure...style without stylistics.
I am about to start her third memory-book where she will speak of her yars on the NYTimes editorial board. It is the last book she wrote before her death at an age too young.I am so sorry, already, to not have her in my life.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Manhattan, When I Was Young.