Elle Bee's Reviews > Ashlynn's Dreams

Ashlynn's Dreams by Julie C. Gilbert

liked it

Ashlynn's Dreams was approached in a very unique way. It was told through a series of letters and journal entries, making the story either intriguing or confusing, depending on your preference.

This is a book that can make you think, it provokes questions on morality and brings out the question, "does the end justify the means?" Is it worth it to experiment on children if the end result is a cure for cancer or world peace?

Although a good idea, I had a hard time grasping the concept of the story starting after everything happened and being retold through letters and journal entries. I found myself putting it down for several days at a time.

While reading, I was presented with a dilemma: To what age group is it intended? It is mostly from the perspective of a girl around twelve and her babysitter (a teenager in advanced classes and struggling to keep up with her schedule). These two are at two very different stages of life. I would say the story is meant for both age groups... However, it speaks of drugs too much for me to recommend it to younger ages. Then again, the story line, in my opinion, would enrapture them more than the older age group. If it weren't for small, yet important, things, like the drugs, I would toss the book to my niece. She would love it.

In closing, I would encourage discretion in giving this book to children. A teenager using meth(?) to keep up with the busyness of advanced classes is not the example I would want for my niece. Even if they do acknowledge it as wrong. But, at the same time, the story is creative and put together nicely and just might become your favorite book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ashlynn's Dreams.

September 13, 2014 – Started Reading