Kasa Cotugno's Reviews > Seeking Whom He May Devour

Seeking Whom He May Devour by Fred Vargas

Jun 02, 2010

bookshelves: genre-crime-thriller, location-europe-france
Read in June, 2010

Fred Vargas' "Have Mercy on us All" got me hooked on her Columbo-esque detective, Jean-Baptiste Adamsberg. This outing concentrates more with his sometime lover, Camille, who we catch up with in the sheeprearing country of les Alpes de Haute Provence. She has joined her new partner, a Canadian filming a documentary on wolves that have made their way out of the wild and are presumed to be savaging the sheep population, but when humans start dying, superstitions are raised that a werewolf is responsible. Throw in an ill-conceived road trip with three of the most unlikely participants ever to share the cab of a lorry who soon discover they are way out of their depth and call on Adamsberg for his intuitive assistance. The book jacket has outlined the above more or less, and has blurbs using such adjectives as "creepy" and "atmospheric." What the blurbs don't tell you is how laugh out loud hilarious this book is in parts, much funnier and lighter in tone than "Have Mercy on us All" and what a satisfying conclusion it has. The backstory is better than those in most series, and I look forward to reading more of Vargas soon.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Seeking Whom He May Devour.

message 1: by Cecily (new)

Cecily Thanks for commenting on my review of this book. :) I definitely agree with what you said about it here (although I found "Have Mercy on us All" funny too, if perhaps a bit less so).

But this is the first Fred Vargas book that I read, and the one that got me interested in her stuff. I like her writing enough that I'll enthusiastically read anything and everything that she writes, which I can't say about too many authors.