Brenda's Reviews > The Intellectual Devotional: Revive Your Mind, Complete Your Education, and Roam Confidently with the Cultured Class

The Intellectual Devotional by David S. Kidder

Dec 16, 2007

Recommended for: Trivia buffs

When I bought this book, I intended to set it by my nightstand and treat it like a devotional and read one page per day. However, I read it cover to cover, which really suited me at this time.

Kidder and Oppenheim delivered exactly what was promised. Little vignettes of information on seven subjects: science, literature, philosophy, music, history, religion, and the visual arts. I learned a little about some subjects and recalled some information I had deliberately forgotten (Categorical Imperative...snore fest even when boiled down to one page).

I especially liked the visual arts pieces. The philosophy pieces were pretty dull - lots about logic and truth. And I appreciate that the editors tried to expand out of western culture to include some information on other cultures. Also - not a lot about women - but it seems like they did try.

Also - want to hear something weird? There were a couple of really obvious errors - misspelled words, missing words, repeated paragraphs. Bizarre. Maybe they were in a hurry to hit the shelves. In any right, I'd recommend if you're into this sort of thing or if you want to be distracted a few minutes at a time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Intellectual Devotional.

December 16, 2007 – Shelved