Nathan's Reviews > Shardik

Shardik by Richard  Adams

did not like it

One star means I didn't like it overall, not that it was terrible.

I loved Watership Down and The Plague Dogs. I knew this one wasn't going to be a talking animal story. That's fine with me. Talking animals are not something I seek out in fiction anyway.

My biggest problem with Shardik was that I never connected with any of the characters. Kelderek was especially flat. He changes a lot over the course of the story, but he always felt more like a magicless marionette than a person to me. Add to that the long, complicated plot and sparse action and this book was a real slog.

I suspect that when Richard Adams called this his masterpiece, he meant it was the book he worked hardest on. There is some beautiful craftsmanship in the language and description.

Shardik himself was the most interesting thing in the book. The question of his divinity pulled me along through the first half of the book. But it was only stubbornness that made me finish.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shardik.

September 12, 2014 – Shelved
April 24, 2016 –
page 286
April 24, 2016 –
page 303
50.17% "Finished part 3. The end of this part was great!"
April 25, 2016 –
page 314
April 26, 2016 –
page 363
April 27, 2016 –
page 443
73.34% "This is a struggle."
April 27, 2016 –
page 525
April 28, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Wayne Barrett I agree. I thought it had potential in the beginning but it quickly died off add turned out to be a thoroughly boring book.

James "Slog" is the perfect word to describe the reading of this book.