AnnaMay's Reviews > Birds of a Feather

Birds of a Feather by Jacqueline Winspear

Jun 02, 2010

Read in June, 2010

Reading a Maisie Dobbs book is like eating comfort food. There are such good supporting roles (Maurice Blanche, Lady Rowan, her father, Billy, and more are being added...) It's nice facing life's challenges with such a crew bouying you up, I imagine.

Reading this story helped me reflect on my own supporters. We are such a result of those whom we love and associate with, even those from whom we seem naturally repelled. Each day we're torn down in new ways, built up in others, morphing into better creatures, we hope.

I had to chuckle at the book's plug for Pilates. Yes, it takes a novel to convince me to finally give it another try. We are taught in our own language, aren't we? Mine seems to be books more than anything. So, to the library Pilates collection, I say: "Here I come."

Winspear adds such beef to my understanding of wartime and its effects. I really loved Lady Rowan's remark about how war isn't really over when it 'ends', but continues on in the living. So true. I'm glad she said it so much better. :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Birds of a Feather.

02/17/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Juliekjewell (new)

Juliekjewell Pilates is great! Your dad got me into weight lifting, but I'm too wimpy. Pilates is my kind of resistance training.

AnnaMay Oh, good. I've got one from the library. I just need to be careful. I remember hurting my back badly with some spine-roll move they had me do a few years back. I've been scared to try it ever since.

message 3: by Juliekjewell (new)

Juliekjewell None of the videos I've done had any spine roll overs. But then I do beginning to intermediate.

Shanda I really like your comment about reading Maisie Dobbs is like eating comfort food. I totally agree, its like sitting down with a couple of familiar comfy friends. I kind of feel the same about the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series, they can be a bit slow but when you are in the mood for them, they are so nice.