Eric Mesa's Reviews > Vagina Mundi

Vagina Mundi by Wol-vriey

it was ok
bookshelves: first-reads

Disclaimer: Got this book free as part of Good Reads First Reads

You can take something horrible and push it so far that you move into the realm of absurdity. Some of my favorite media do this. Kill Bill takes violence to such ridiculous levels (with blood spurting everywhere) that it’s become no different than the cartoon violence of Tom and Jerry. (Which, if you forgot, has Tom being diced up, pumped full of bullet holes, blown up, and pretty much everything shy of decapitation) Or look at Mel Brooks taking something horrible like the Spanish Inquisition and making it OK to laugh at in History of the World Part 1. But you can push something so far that it goes back around to offensive again. I feel like that’s the problem with this book.

I knew I was in for a weird, surreal world from reading the description. But that seemed like a lot of fun. I like Monty Python; I like Douglas Adams. I definitely don't have any issues with surreal. I think this status update really sums it up well: "The story seems to be Tex Avery meets Bashki which is pretty interesting."

What made me uncomfortable was the incest, necrophilia, and Femina's concert tea. Uncomfortable, but not bad.

But what really messed up the novel for me were the 4+ rapes.

I felt like it went from Bizaro to perhaps just intentionally trying to be provocative and missing the mark.

It's a shame because I liked the overall plot and strange world that Wol-vriey creates. The hotel concept was great. It was also nice to never know what was possible. I liked that the main characters were gay and that wasn't a big deal anywhere in the world. It was great that all the real main characters were women - but often the voice seemed to be a bit too male. I think it could have been 3 or 4 stars, but there's all these rapes/molestations that don't seem to have a point. Like I'd prefer not to have women in fridge moments, but rape happens and so if it were a formative thing rather than something that just happens over and over in this world, it wouldn't have been so bad. It just seemed to detract from the overall message of the book of women empowerment. (Especially the way the characters dealt with it)

Generally speaking, my reviews have evolved to just what I thought - that's it. I'm not thinking "I need ot make this x stars" for others. Goodreads says 2 stars is "it was ok" - that's how I felt. If the description plus what I wrote seems compelling, go check it out, just know there's a lot of rape - trigger warnings and all that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vagina Mundi.

September 12, 2014 – Shelved
September 12, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
October 2, 2014 – Started Reading
October 2, 2014 –
page 1
0.23% "I read the prologue. This will probably be the most sexually explicit book I've ever read. The title probably should have been a hint.\n \n Flipped through the book and it looks like each chapter is 3 pages on average. \n \n Disclaimer: Got this book for free as part of Goodreads Firstreads"
October 9, 2014 –
page 17
3.88% "WTF did I just read? This is shaping up to be the strangest book I've read this year if not this decade."
October 10, 2014 –
page 27
6.16% "This world is definitely full of strange characters."
October 11, 2014 –
page 36
October 12, 2014 –
page 48
10.96% "Not sure what the plot will be"
October 13, 2014 –
page 70
15.98% "Lots of plot twists. This book is crazy."
October 14, 2014 –
page 87
19.86% "So, now the main plot is set up."
October 14, 2014 –
page 105
23.97% "trigger warning: rape scene"
October 17, 2014 –
page 113
October 18, 2014 –
page 131
29.91% "Didn't think it was possible but things just got even weirder"
October 20, 2014 –
page 145
October 23, 2014 –
page 165
October 25, 2014 –
page 192
43.84% "The book is getting weird in an uncomfortable way. ( incest, necrophilia, Femina's concert tea)"
October 26, 2014 –
page 212
48.4% "Somehow things just managed even weirder."
October 27, 2014 –
page 217
October 28, 2014 –
page 249
56.85% "The story seems to be Tex Avery meets Bashki which is pretty interesting. But the rapes (4 so far if I haven't lost count) are making the story far less enjoyable than it might otherwise be."
October 29, 2014 –
page 290
66.21% "The story is finally coming together"
October 30, 2014 –
page 408
93.15% "Nearly done"
November 3, 2014 – Shelved as: first-reads
November 3, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Griffin Yay bizarro! My head hurts just reading the summary of this book!

Eric Mesa I can't wait until I get further in. Stay tuned for the review - probably in a couple weeks.