Javier's Reviews > If Hemingway Wrote JavaScript

If Hemingway Wrote JavaScript by Angus Croll

M 50x66
Sep 12, 2014

if Hemingway wrote JavaScript is a labour of love; of love for literature, for Javascript and for programming at large.
Much like Fernando Pessoa's heteronyms, Angus Croll manages to put himself in the shoes of some of the most famous writers in the history of western literature and answer a strange question: how would they write JavaScript?
Now, needless to say that finding the answer to that question wouldn't be possible without the ludic spirit of the author and a healthy disregard for the more solemn aspects of both literature and programming. And that is the truth at the heart of this book: we are allowed and should be encouraged to play, to have fun, with those things we love (to read, to write, to code).
My plead to every programmer out there (even if JavaScript is not your language of choice): you should have this book at hand at all times, above any other manual of technical minutiae. So whenever you start feeling disheartened, unmotivated or simply bored with what you are doing (and believe me, that time will come), you'll be able to take a look at some of its chapters and remember that programming can be fun. That, beyond good and bad parts, beyond best practices and the professional fences with which we surround ourselves, those Lego sets that we call programming languages can and should be play with.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read If Hemingway Wrote JavaScript.

September 12, 2014 – Shelved