Tricia Drammeh's Reviews > Island in the Clouds

Island in the Clouds by Susan M. Toy

When Geoff finds a dead body floating in a swimming pool, his peaceful life on Bequia is disrupted. From property manager to murder suspect, Geoff investigates the murder and inadvertently puts his own life in danger.

Island in the Clouds is a wonderfully written murder mystery that takes us to Bequia, a Caribbean island where ex-pats hide their secrets in paradise. Everyone has a secret or two - even Geoff. When he's asked to help investigate a murder, he draws attention from some vindictive, ruthless characters. The danger intensifies as the clues slowly stack up. Geoff isn't a typical crime-solver, but he's smart and persistent. Actually, there is nothing typical about Geoff or any of the other characters for that matter. The author portrays Bequia inhabitants--the lazy, inept cops; the shady ex-pats; the weed-smoking islanders--without resorting to stereotypes. The reader gets a feel for the rich culture and the sometimes unsavory aspects of island life, but author provides us with well-rounded characters with depth and individuality. No one is exactly what they seem on the surface, and that's not always a bad thing.

This is the second book I've read by Susan Toy, and both books are completely different, but perfect in their own way. I hope she's planning on writing more mysteries based in Bequia. Island in the Clouds was one of the most enjoyable mysteries I've read in a long time and I'd love to read more from Susan Toy.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Island in the Clouds.

September 11, 2014 – Started Reading