Genia Lukin's Reviews > He Knew He Was Right

He Knew He Was Right by Anthony Trollope

did not like it
bookshelves: classics, my-ebooks

This book is way too misogynistic for me. The whole premise of a husband who is overjealous but a wife who "owes obedience" and by refusing to give it drives him insane is just... too obnoxious for words. I do understand this is 1860s, I just don't have to like it or think it should deserve as much leeway as we give it. After all, what's it all about? The woman sees a guy who is known for being a bit too cozy with the ladies because he's an old family friend. The husband isn't incensed so much because he loves his wife and it's some sort of burning jealousy of this other man who may be her friend - but because his pride and possessiveness of her was damaged. Ugh. Seriously, ugh. If this were a 20th century book, I'd be telling the heroine "divorce the sucker, lady."

Plus any book who can present the sanctimonious, self-righteous, obnoxious bully Miss Stanbury in a half-positive light deserves to be one-starred to oblivion, in my humble opinion, anyway.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read He Knew He Was Right.

September 11, 2014 – Shelved
November 28, 2014 –
November 29, 2014 –
November 29, 2014 –
November 29, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

Bharat Ma'am you are right. but I would want to focus on the usage of the English language and how good a writer Mr Trollope was

message 2: by Martha (last edited Nov 21, 2015 06:44AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Martha Oh, I disagree with your review wholeheartedly. Trollope portrays the women in this story as strong-willed, making their own decisions, not being manipulated by outside forces. I am only half way through, but I feel his understanding of women is right on- at least with me and my thinking. Maybe I am old fashioned, but he is very generous to the female gender. And, Bharat- I agree, his writing is superb. Love this book!

Marian Agree, Bharat and Martha. I just finished this 99 chapter, 968 page wonder...loved it....the writing was grand, the humor was delightful, and I enjoyed the characters wholeheartedly. Also agree with Genia, if this was "real" and "current day" my opinion would be wholly different!! :)