Lain's Reviews > Living Oprah: My One-Year Experiment to Live as TV's Most Influential Guru Advises

Living Oprah by Robyn Okrant

Jun 01, 2010

When Robyn Okrant decides to "Live Oprah--" follow everything the queen of the talk show circuit dictates for one year -- she's not sure how her life will change. The book follows her through a full 12 months of living Oprah -- following her advice, eating her recommended recipes, buying what she says we all "must have," and even attempting to feel as Oprah dictates we should feel.

Okrant's discovery is that the more she steps away from her own thoughts and feelings about what her "best life" really is, the more stressed she becomes. She decides that while she may have upgraded her wardrobe and her diet, her peace of mind is definitely at risk when turning over all life decisions to a third party.

I love experimental "travelogues" like this, and Okrant is a quirky and fun narrator. I did wish, though, that we heard more about the results of the individual experiences (like adopting a kitten, painting the bedroom, decluttering, etc.) and their impact on Okrant's life, rather than just hearing about the high-level effects of the experiment on Okrant. That's interesting, too, but I wanted to know what she thought of A Course in Miracles, certain books on the list, etc.

All the same, an intriguing look at modern culture and our willingness to sacrifice our own decision-making abilities to others who have "the answer--" or claim to.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Living Oprah.