Sarah (Workaday Reads)'s Reviews > Through The Veil

Through The Veil by Christi Snow

bookshelves: netgalley, read-in-2014

Romance books and series often follow a certain familiar plot arc, but when done right, it’s still a fabulous read. This book is a great example of that.

This book combined steamy romance featuring a few detailed, but not explicit, sex scenes with a unique paranormal setup and lots of action. The characters are strong and the individual personalities are fully formed and easy to believe.

A lot of romance stories feature insta-love, and I appreciate that this wasn’t present. There was insta-lust, which is totally believable, and a little bit of insta-trust, which worked in this set-up. A combination of those two things made the relationship angle believable, and gave me warm fuzzy feelings.

Every classic romance plotline features a communication breakdown that causes conflict, and how this is handled often makes the difference between an enjoyable story and an eye-rolling cliche. This book handled that section beautifully. It was realistic and believable. I bought into the setup, and each character’s reaction. There was no ridiculous miscommunication here, just a difficult situation that would have been hard to predict by anyone. I loved the authenticity of it, and it makes me want to read every book in the series, and everything in the author’s backlist.

Creating romance stories that don’t cause eye rolls is difficult, but was accomplished wonderfully here, and with the added bonus of a paranormal world set-up that I’ve never encountered before. Based on the characters introduced, I think I can guess a few of the characters who will be the stars of later books in the series, and it has me excited. This is one series that I can’t wait to see develop. It has a classic romance feel, but with a great execution.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Through The Veil.

September 10, 2014 – Shelved