Parker's Reviews > The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson

liked it

I think I was fortunate not to know very much about this book except that it's wildly popular and supposed to be very good. I had heard the first half of it on tape months ago, but decided to pick it up and read through it all the way. Had I gotten a little further into the book on the first pass, I might not have picked it up for the full thing.

I enjoyed the story, and I was caught up in a few of the thrilling moments, but a few things about the language kept distracting me. The dialogue and even the descriptions are sometimes a bit stilted, but I'm guessing that's a translation issue, and not really a problem. More confusing was the constant and aggressive description of products and brands throughout the book. Especially considering that many of the descriptions were of computers (including things like processor speed), not only did they seem out of place, but laughably dated.

I intend to read the rest of the series, and am curious to see how things develop. Most of the characters seem a little flat to me, but not so much that I'm not interested in their developments.

May 31, 2010 – Shelved
August 3, 2010 – Started Reading
August 15, 2010 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Morgan (new)

Morgan I'm really loving this series. I read the first one and took a break for something lighter but I'll be back to the series next. Anyway, I hope Berlin is wonderful :)