Mel's Reviews > The Stormcaller

The Stormcaller by Tom Lloyd

F 50x66
May 31, 2010

it was ok

While I enjoyed some of the ideas found in this book, I spent the majority of the book thinking, "Who is this character again? Where are they? Why do I care about this?" To be honest, I don't think I would have fought to finish this book so hard if it hadn't been recommended by a good student.

After spending a lot of time fighting through this book, I realized what it was that I wasn't liking--it was the fact that the author didn't give me enough to go on at the start of the novel--no explanations about what White Eyes were, no explanation of the political structures within the land, no descriptions that provided an understanding of the parameters of the universe within the trilogy. At the start of the novel, I had nothing to go on as to why I should identify with Isak, the main character, and no reason to care about the fate of the White Eyes--or anyone else in this novel. While I'm used to reading novels with multiple plot lines that eventually converge into one strand, the plot lines weren't explained so as to give the reader enough to hold on to. However, as I waded through to the end of this one, I found its redemption point (at least for me). Isak has a conversation with another character in which Isak breaks the strand of prophecy, prompting a discussion of Fate vs. Free Will in which Isak rejects the concept of Fate in order to forge his own destiny (thereby exercising his own Free Will)--and this was the novel's redeeming point for me.

And I will admit, by the end of the novel, I was curious as to where Isak's story will go in the second and third novels (given that it will be based upon his decisions made by his Free Will), but I don't think I'm curious enough to actively search out these later novels.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Stormcaller.

May 31, 2010 – Started Reading
May 31, 2010 – Shelved
May 31, 2010 –
page 240
54.79% "So, recommended by a student... taking me a really long time to read, and I'm still not able to tell a person what exactly this one's about... But I'll try to struggle through the rest..."
June 8, 2010 – Finished Reading