Alexis's Reviews > Dead Over Heels

Dead Over Heels by Alison Kemper

bookshelves: net-galley

This was my first zombie book. I was a little wary about starting this book considering I’m not really a fan of zombies. But of course, the plot drew me in and once I began reading this book, I was sucked in.

Theme:
Sociology, Friendship, Romance

Plot:
Ava’s from Florida but is in North Carolina for Thanksgiving. She hates it there. The house they bought in North Carolina is falling apart and Ava has to deal with the Greer brothers cleaning up their overgrown fields. Ava knows the country folks in town make fun of her and her family and Ava can’t stand being around them.

When Ava’s parents leave for the hardware store, Ava is left at home with Cole Greer who is outside working. Suddenly, Cole is knocking at Ava’s front door screaming that she needs to come with him right now before the zombies get her. Ava doesn’t believe him until she sees the zombies for herself behind him. The two of them take off running, annoying each other as they travel through the woods trying to get to the reserve center. Yet, along the way, their hate begins to kindle into something more.

Characters:
Cole→ Country Cole was such a “know-it-all”. His country accent annoys Ava and his smart mouth just makes her wanna pop him. Cole is actually pretty smart and thinks fast on his feet. I wasn’t head over heels for him, but him and Ava’s relationship is pretty cool.

Ava→ Ava is brave. She has allergies really bad—to the point where if she gets stung by a insect, she can die in under two minutes. Yet, she is forced to camp out in the woods for days and deal with Cole complaining about her not keeping up with him. Ava is a smart girl though. Just because she’s not as outdoorsy as Cole doesn’t mean she does’t know how to pull her own weight. She helps them get out of situations just as much as Cole.

Both characters were well develop and I found it interesting how two people from different environments interacted with each other and began to grow on each other; gaining respect for one another.

Style/Setting:
Dead Over Heels takes place in the woods of North Carolina. Its set in first point of view from the eyes of both Cole and Ava. Alison Kemper shows the cultural differences between between city folks and country folks.

There imagery was detailed and good. Sometimes it felt like I was watching a comedic movie about a zombie apocalypse. Although, there were a few scenes that were difficult to picture when a lot of things were happening at once.

There’s humor, anticipation, and swoon-worthy scenes that will have you grinning from ear to ear.

Considering this is my first zombie book, I really enjoyed it. Kemper has drawn my eye to the zombie world and I can’t wait to pick up her other novel, Donna of the Dead.

Lesson Learned? Don’t judge a person by where they are from

**Recommended

Rating:
Book Cover: .1
Character Development/Plot: 3 out of 3
Interest: 1 out of 1
Imagery: .9 out of 1
Total: 5.0 stars

**received a free copy from Entangled Teen in exchange for a honest review**

For more of my reviews: http://checkmybooks.wordpress.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead Over Heels.

September 9, 2014 – Started Reading