Barb's Reviews > The Actor and the Housewife

191052
May 31, 2010

bookshelves: giveaway, books-i-own
Read from September 04 to October 15, 2010 — I own a copy

I got a free copy from Good Reads. It took me a while to get to it because I was trying to convince my book club to read it with me. But, I became impatient and decided to read it on my own. I loved the banter between Felix and Becky. I love the idea of falling in friendship at first sight. And, I thoroughly enjoyed the relationship as it developed, was questioned, was dropped and then picked up again (actually a couple of times). I have to admit, I had to take a bit of a leap of faith to buy into this closeness with spousal approval. But, I have had male friends myself. I fully understand there is a tendency to sometimes think there may be something greater than just friendship. But, I agree with the book that there are people you can love like a brother, without it ever becoming a sexual relationship. However, there is just one bit that I had a hard time with and that was the underlying message that there is only one person in the world for each of us to love passionately and forever. Becky states otherwise, but she lives as if this were true.
This book was engaging, funny, sad, and warm. I recommend it to people who enjoy "relationship" stories - those that are not necessarily romances, but delve into the human condition and how it is shared with those we love.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Actor and the Housewife.

09/07/2010 page 12
3.0% "Okay, I got this free from goodreads. I had hoped to get my book club to read it, but they chose something else. So, I started it this week and am already annoying the librarians in the break room by laughing right out loud. This "banter" reminds me of a Cary Grant/Katherine Hepburn movie. So fun!"

Doreen Love the Grant/Hepburn type of banter. Yet another book I hope to someday read. Thanks Barb!

Doreen hi Barb! The book finally made it to me! I'm on page 69 and enjoying it thus far! The dialogue grabbed me from the very start.