Lita's Reviews > Bone Deep

Bone Deep by Brooklyn Skye

liked it

A story with a long build up, gradually getting better than the previous chapter.

Krister Ledoux is a 18 yr. old college kid that has his life forever changed because what still haunts him a year later is the accident his father caused and went to jail for. The people that ended up dead. And the hate mail he still receives. He goes out of his way, leaving behind everything he knew to find the person sending him those letters. He then meets this girl at the train station and finds some connection with her: they have that melancholic vibe going on. He then finds out that she is related to one of the people that died in the accident. He begins to think that she is the one writing him those letters. Is she?

The storyline line was pretty good, nothing I've ever read or heard of before to be honest. However, I was still unable to grasp the essence of the plot until a little bit after the middle. At first I was real pumped in reading this, but then as I read on, things started dragging a bit for me, and before I knew it, I started losing where I was at so I'd skip some paragraphs, then it was pages, but only a few. I feel that if I knew more on what the story was about, I would've been able to have that foundation to rely on. I guess this is what I get for wanting to read this for this cover. The cover really drew me in and I assumed the story was going to back it up. That's why they say don't judge it by the cover 'cause obviously a cool cover could hide a crappy story, or a crappy cover could hide an amazing story. It's always a gamble with stories and their covers.

Krister's characteristics show that drastic changes have been made: post-accident Krister & pre-accident Krister. There were times when it Krister thinks about himself when he was in high school, his girlfriend, his best-friend, his relationship with his dad before tragic struck. Now it shows Krister without his girlfriend, but still using her to delude himself of whatever set him off, dissing his best-friend a lot, hardly going to class, hating his father.
Cambria is shown with post and pre-accident characteristics as well. She used to rebel against her mother, normal outgoing party girl living it up and having fun. Well, she still tries to be the same, but can't hide the pain and guilt she feels for her mother's death, and her older brother's instability and anger issues. All she wants to do is overcome it all, but pretending doesn't let her totally forget, but allows her to be someone else for a change.

Krister feels responsible for his father's actions and all the people that died and their families lives that were damaged. He figures that once he could find the person writing him the letters and somewhat save them. It was said in the story that he was obsessed, and technically its correct. Although not being so with receiving those letters would be beyond me. However, it was therapeutic for him, because in order for him to have peace of mind would be to help those who had lost.

Overall, this was not all that great. I could predict a lot of things. I wanted, so many times, to instigate some fight in any of the melancholic characters, and would've liked more of a backdrop with Krister and his ex-girlfriend's relationship, both before and after everything, but nevertheless pretty good.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bone Deep.

September 8, 2014 – Shelved