Sally's Reviews > Royal Flash

Royal Flash by George MacDonald Fraser

May 30, 2010

Read from June 07 to 15, 2010

It took me a long while to get into Royal Flash. It's written from the perspective of Harry Flashman, a cowardly, selfish, mysoginistic bully who is perfectly happy to take credit for anything he hasn't earned and driven largely by his lust. A classic anti-hero and not an easy character for me to relate to at all.

However it was highly recommended and I enjoyed the way the tawdry historical references (of the sort you never find in school history books) were woven so intrinsically into the story, so I persisted. By about a third of the way through I was enjoying it and by halfway I simply had to keep reading to the end in one go.

As a character I really appriecated the fact that Flashman owns all of his unappealing characteristics and doesn't ever pretend to be otherwise. I never quite found him endearing but I did find him a fascinating character and very well written, as were all of the secondary characters also. The voices rang true; the writing was engaging, if jarring due to the characterisations; and the plot was fabulous. I particularly enjoyed the historical references and context as well.

I strongly recommend it for friends who like a different read and who are prepared to invest some serious energy into getting into a book. For anyone who wants a light read laced with wish fulfillment fantasy, forget it!

I can't say I've come to love Flashman but I will thoroughly enjoy reading the rest of his papers over time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Royal Flash.