Christopher Lawson's Reviews > 24: Underground

24 by Ed Brisson

"I Promise You I'll Bring Sofyia Back."

Hmmm... Haven't we heard that story before? Hostage taken to get Bauer?

The story begins as Jack is living a new life in Odessa, Ukraine. He's a dock worker, known as "Borys Melnchuk." Good job, nice live-in girlfriend, Sofyia--all is well--at least for a short time, anyway. Jack is hunted by the CIA, believed to be a ruthless terrorist.

The CIA is tracking Bauer's movements, and slowly closing in him, but they're not the only ones. Some Ukranian thugs are also out to kill Bauer. The gang kidnaps Sofyia, using her as bait to get Bauer. But Sofyia is a lot tougher than she looks. She kills her guard and escapes.

But Jack doesn't know his girlfriend has escaped, and he meets with the thugs. However, they don't have time to torture him, since the CIA moves in and starts a firefight, saving Jack. The CIA had previously found Sofyia, and used her to track down Bauer. But Jack refuses to go quietly with the CIA. He is able to slip away as the CIA agents tend to an injured agent. Last we see of Jack, he is on a fishing boat on his way to Romania.

All in all, an excellent combination of storyline and artwork. The artist and writer have blended their skills well together. The artist has really captured that mean look of determination on Jack's face, as well as the brutality of the thugs. My favorite artwork: last frame with the fishing ship on its way to Romania.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 24.