Liliana's Reviews > Shutter

Shutter by Courtney Alameda

4199142
Reviewed on Lili Lost in a Book

I was very excited to read this one because it just sounded so amazing! I mean, not only was it horror, but it involved descendants of Van Helsing! How awesome does that sound?

The Van Helsing premise is definitely what caught my attention, and I loved it! I also love how there was a connection to Dracula... very creative! Overall, the plot was very interesting and fun—this whole world was fun and interesting! The idea of being a tetrachromat and having the ability to see the “spiritual auras of the dead,” was creative and so up my alley! Micheline herself was a pretty kickass, strong female lead. I very much liked her. She is smart, too, figuring out that you can capture ghosts on film using a camera. I love how that was explained ‘cause it actually made sense!

All the other supporting characters were great, too. I really enjoyed seeing the group interact with each other on these ghost hunts as colleagues, but also as friends. Plus, some of them have some pretty cool abilities as well. The character I particularly loved was Jude—he was just so funny! There was also some romance between Micheline and Ryder, which wasn’t on the forefront, but was absolutely fine with me! It was very sweet and I enjoyed it.

As for the horror aspect of this, it wasn’t that scary to be honest. Which is a shame ‘cause that was one of the things I was wanting out of this book. But I pretty much watch horror movies on a daily basis, so I don’t scare easily. Okay, maybe it did have some creepy creatures. Plus, it was also quite thrilling and suspenseful with a lot of fun action!

I also found that some parts of the book were quite predictable. I mean, those plot twists? Yeah, not surprising. I figured out that stuff way ahead of time. But overall, I actually really enjoyed this book! Even though it wasn’t that scary for me, I did appreciate the creepy setting and wonderful writing.

Oh, and hey, I also did some nail art inspired by this book ;)

Check out the full post here!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shutter.

September 8, 2014 – Shelved