Kirby's Reviews > World Without End

World Without End by Ken Follett

May 30, 2010

bookshelves: historical-fiction

Just finished re-reading this one. It had not been long enough for me to completely forget the plot, so there were no surprises, but I still really enjoyed the read. I enjoyed learning more about Medieval England, and I once again fell in love with the characters. I did think this time through that there were perhaps too many similarities between Caris and Aliena and Merthin and Jack, but they were still very interesting, well-rounded characters. I like that none of them are perfect- they all have their flaws, which make them seem more real. I also like that he made such a contrast between the priory as run by Philip in the first book, and the priory as run by Godwyn in the second. He illustrated the power that religious leaders held in those times, and the potential consequences if those leaders were more concerned with their own position and ambitions than for the well-being of the townspeople. I'd really like to read some of Follet's other books, especially since I've heard that they are so different from this one the The Pillars of the Earth.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read World Without End.