Angela's Reviews > How Does A Single Blade of Grass Thank the Sun?

How Does A Single Blade of Grass Thank the Sun? by Doretta Lau

Sep 08, 2014

bookshelves: short-story-collections, reviewed

Canadian Short Story collections are my favourite and I scooped this one for my twitter #shortstoriesforbreakfast project this September. Not knowing if I'd like it or not, since Lau is new to me, I began with the title story which falls at the end of the collection. I was hooked immediately and went on to read the rest of the slim volume. What did I love so much?

1. The title story was reminiscent of Anthony Burgess's A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess with it's unique slang, nicknamed gang members and iconic main character/narrator. According to Doretta Lau herself, the similarity is no accident; it is somewhat of an homage, and a worthy one in my opinion. First impression of Lau = made.

2. Most of the stories take place in and around Vancouver. I'm from there so I felt as homesick for the Chinatown, the sky train, Gastown, and the downtown east side every bit as much as I did while reading Michael Christie's The Beggar's Garden by Michael Christie which was achey and delicious in equal measure.

3. The writing is fantastic.

4. The characters are familiar but completely original.

5. The stories themselves are bizarre and unpredictable.

I'm going to be keeping my eye out for whatever Doretta Lau writes next.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How Does A Single Blade of Grass Thank the Sun?.

September 8, 2014 – Shelved