AdultFiction Teton County Library's Reviews > Killing Rommel

Killing Rommel by Steven Pressfield

May 30, 2010

Teton County Library Call No: F PRESSFIELD
Brie's rating: 4 stars

Mr. Pressfield’s recent novel unfolds within the context of the 1942/early 1943 North African campaign during World War II. With the kind of historical accuracy for which the author is known, the crux of the plot (a top secret operation to locate and kill Field Marshall Rommel by the British special-forces unit, the Long Range Desert Group) is explored in fine and deliberate detail. The majority of the story is voiced through the first-person narrative of R. Lawrence Chapman (”Chap”), a young English lieutenant at the onset of the novel; his memoir of and experiences in the LRDG frame the author’s uses of transition between present day and war time. I found the progression of the novel to be thoughtful and measured. Only book six seemed less able to maintain a progression in plot between the balance of action and character development that was in keeping with the flow of the rest of the novel. But it is certainly a testament to Mr. Pressfield’s research abilities and skill as a story-teller that the parts of the book most real and resonant were, for me, those having occured in the past. Many will enjoy this read for its thorough historical basis. Others still will appreciate the former through the lens of the cast of players the author draws for us. I found myself doing both.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Killing Rommel.