Inge's Reviews > Jackaby

Jackaby by William Ritter

bookshelves: fantasy, laugh-out-loud-funny, magic, main-character-is-cool, smiles-a-plenty, young-adult

Jackaby was without a doubt my most anticipated read ever since I learned of its existence (you know, about two months ago). It sounded intriguing, especially with the way it was being marketed – “Sherlock meets Doctor Who”. I mean, that’s every fangirl’s wet dream, right?

Then the negative reviews started flowing in, and I grew wary of the book. Nevertheless, when someone gifted it to me during the Ninja Halloween Book Swap, there was nothing for me to do but to pick up this book and form my own opinion of it.

Truth be told, I really enjoyed it. It really felt like a modern Sherlock novel, only with a supernatural twist.

Jackaby is without a doubt one of the most interesting characters I’ve had the pleasure of meeting this year. This consulting detective does not only solve murders, but he solves murders committed by trolls and pixies and all the other stuff that goes on in the other dimension. That’s where the Doctor Who part comes in, also because he’s quite eccentric. In fact, a fellow blogger who hadn’t seen Doctor Who, compared Jackaby to the Mad Hatter instead, which I thought was a really accurate statement.

There is definitely a little bit of Sherlock:

As well as the strangeness of the Doctor:

And, well, how can you not love it?

It was definitely the weirdness of it all that lured me in. I didn’t feel as compelled by the murder mystery, but more by the fact that this was a world filled with the fantasy elements that I love so much. It had me laughing, just because it was so deliciously weird. When you enter Jackaby’s home, you’re told not to stare at the frog. There is indeed a frog, and if you do stare at it, the frog lets loose a most terrible stench that lasts for hours. There’s a pond on the second floor with a man-sized duck, and a ghost named Jenny. Furthermore, there’s a chapter missing as per Jackaby’s request and they make fun of Belgium. The book is filled with small oddities like that, which made me appreciate the story so much more.

What I also appreciated was that there is no heavy emphasis on romance. There is a love interest, but it doesn’t drive the book, nor is it filled with cheese. It was sweet, just that, nothing more, nothing less.

If you’ve been drooling over this book and that amazing cover for the last couple months but you’re unsure as to whether you’ll like it or not, I say – pick it up. Give it a try. Maybe not for the crime aspect, but I assure you you’ll appreciate the weirdness. It sounds entirely familiar, for don’t we all have a little weirdness inside of us?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jackaby.

September 8, 2014 – Shelved
September 8, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
October 22, 2014 – Shelved as: buy-me
October 30, 2014 – Shelved as: tbr-own
November 27, 2014 – Started Reading
page 1
0.33% ""Sherlock meets Doctor Who" sounds like every fangirl's wet dream, yet the reviews aren't as great. Time to make up my own mind."
page 28
9.36% ""I have ceased concerning myself with how things look to others, Abigail Rook. I suggest you do the same. In my experience, others are generally wrong.""
page 28
9.36% "I totally kicked some anxiety ass today. Had to cancel the first screening of Frankenstein two weeks ago, but I made it to the second one tonight. And it was amazing. Stellar performances by Benedict Cumberbatch and Jonny Lee Miller. So worth it. So happy I made it. Now there's something to be thankful for. Good night. <3"
November 28, 2014 –
page 82
27.42% ""It wasn't that I did not believe in ghosts; it was that I believed in them in the same noncommital way that I believed in giant squids or lucky coins or Belgium ." Attagirl."
November 28, 2014 –
page 104
34.78% ""She has saved this town and its people from countless monsters countless times. That the battles are often in her head does not lessen the bravery of it. The hardest battles always are.""
December 1, 2014 –
page 266
88.96% ""This world is full of dragon-slayers. What we need are a few more people who aren't too proud to listen to a fish."
December 1, 2014 – Finished Reading
December 4, 2014 – Shelved as: fantasy
December 4, 2014 – Shelved as: laugh-out-loud-funny
December 4, 2014 – Shelved as: magic
December 4, 2014 – Shelved as: main-character-is-cool
December 4, 2014 – Shelved as: smiles-a-plenty
December 4, 2014 – Shelved as: young-adult

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)

message 1: by Danielle (new) - added it

Danielle (is trying to escape reality) was so on the fence about this one... will be on the lookout for it now, thank you@!!

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Inge Kat Stark wrote: "Awee...great review Inge, really. I'm glad that it was an enjoyable read for you. I mean it sounds awesome"

Honestly, just the "Doctor Who meets Sherlock" thing is what draws everyone to this book, I think. And that's what I appreciated, because it's not false marketing. It really works.

Danielle wrote: "was so on the fence about this one... will be on the lookout for it now, thank you@!!"

Hope you like it as much as I did! :)

message 4: by MLE (new) - added it

MLE  Cool. Makes me glad I put it on my Christmas list.

Category Is: Book Review Realness! Yep,the doctor who meets sherlock thing totally made me want to read this book. I'm glad it managed to deliver

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Good to know they weren't liars though! That's rare

Inge Danae wrote: "I need to pick this up now!"

Yesss!

Kat Stark wrote: "Good to know they weren't liars though! That's rare"

Yeah, I've read quite a few books with false marketing, and it disappointed me every single time. I automatically like a book less if I had different expectations of it.

The Lady Inquisitor wrote: "Yep,the doctor who meets sherlock thing totally made me want to read this book. I'm glad it managed to deliver"

It delivered for me, but I think it's a personal thing. Some people found it boring or not eccentric enough, but I really liked it :)

MLE wrote: "Cool. Makes me glad I put it on my Christmas list."

That should be a very merry Christmas indeed.

TL Glad you enjoyed this:) Fabulous review hun

Inge TL wrote: "Glad you enjoyed this:) Fabulous review hun"

Thank you! <3 Glad you enjoyed it too!

message 10: by TL (new) - rated it 4 stars

TL Inge wrote: "TL wrote: "Glad you enjoyed this:) Fabulous review hun"

Thank you! <3 Glad you enjoyed it too!"

Your welcome! *hugs* me too, I want to get the audiobook someday

message 11: by Inge (new) - rated it 4 stars

Inge Ha! That would be cool :)